About Burton Green    Bugle (Parish Magazine)     Bus Times    Calendar     Family History
Latest Posts     Local History     Maps      Photos    Planning    Privacy     Residents' Association     Videos

Wednesday, 20 December 2017

Revised Burrow Hill Nursery Housing Proposal

The planning application to build 83 dwellings at Burrow Hill, submitted in June 2017, was withdrawn in October, and a revised proposal to build 90 dwellings was resubmitted in December.

The revised application (ref  W/17/2086) is here:

The original application (ref W/17/1247) is here:

This animation shows the differences between the two applications. The animation can be enlarged to full-screen size by clicking on the animation to open it in a new window, and then clicking again to enlarge to maximum size:

As of 20th December a further revision has been made to part of the Northern boundary, as shown in the animation below. It is understood that this simply indicates a transfer of ownership of that 10-metre wide strip of land, which constitutes a proposed bridleway, to HS2.

This HS2 map shows the bridleway, marked in yellow...

Previous Posts About The Burrow Hill Housing Proposal

https://burtongreen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/wdc-new-local-plan-new-housing-at.html (May 2014)
https://burtongreen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/additional-housing-in-burton-green.html (Jan 2014)

Tuesday, 12 December 2017

HS2 Drop-In Surgeries

The next drop-in surgery is scheduled for 6th January, 4pm to 6pm.

Councillor Skinner reported on the November event as follows:
"I went to this briefing [6th November] and met Mrs Susan Bridges and her colleagues of HS2. 
There is a complex interplay between HS2, possible long-term road changes; possible further building in Red Lane, Cromwell Lane, Westwood Heath Road and beyond; possible changes at Tile Hill Railway Station, etc. I certainly do not know what will ultimately happen, but will give more detail as/when I can. 
Please attend future briefings if you can; 4 December; 6 January; 5 February; 5 March; 2 April. All 4PM to 6PM.  You can ask your own questions direct."

Saturday, 9 December 2017

Bugle December 2017

The December 2017 edition of the Bugle has been published.

Just below are thumbnails of the page images. To enlarge any page image, click on the thumbnail below. Once you have the individual page, you may also need to click on the magnifying glass in your browser, where you can view the page at its original size...

The text of the Chair's Report has also been added to the Residents' Association page.

The archive of back issues of the Bugle is here: Bugle Archive.

Thursday, 30 November 2017

Burton Green Choir Christmas Concert

Please come along to our very first

Christmas Concert
8th December 7.30pm at Burton Green Village Hall

Burton Green Village Choir
Under the direction of Seb Farrall 

Supporting us will be 
David Harrop - local singer and entertainer 
who will also sing festive songs.
(David is starring in the Leamington Lantern Parade on Sunday December 3rd)

Burton Green Choir Christmas concert: £10 (Children free)
Including a complimentary glass of mulled wine and seasonal nibbles etc.
Do join us to start the Christmas celebrations!

Thursday, 23 November 2017

Christmas Craft Fayre


Invites you to a


Open 12.00 until 4.00pm

Something for everyone: Jewellery, Christmas Decorations, New Books,
Cushions, Glass items, Bags both cloth and woven, wrapping paper and cards.
Childrens toys, Wood carving and lots more.
Orders taken for fresh Christmas wreaths and table decorations

Refreshments served from 12.00 until 4.00pm

Friday, 10 November 2017

Women's Institute Meeting 13th November

Minutes of Residents' Association AGM 30th October 2017

Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of the Burton Green Residents’ Association held on October 30th 2017 at the Village Hall

Rona welcomed everyone including parish councilor s and Greenway Trust representatives.

She explained her aim was to make presentations as brief as possible allowing time for discussion of issues of importance.

1 Apologies

Apologies had been received from Dianne Adams, Judi Hibberd, Adrian Hickinbottom, Cllr Skinner, Janet Stanworth, Diane Swindells and Paul Thornton

2 Minutes of the last meeting

"In the Warwick District Revised Plan, 425 houses were sited at the top of Westwood Heath Road with a health centre, shop and some community facilities." It appeared to Cllr. Taylor that there would be little affordable housing. Cllr Taylor wished it to be noted that “affordable” housing was a technical term and he felt the proposed housing was still not affordable to most people.

The minutes of the last Annual General Meeting of October 31st 2016 were then accepted.

Proposed: Chris Langton
Seconded: Jill Line

3 Matters Arising

HS2: Contact details had been published in the Bugle.

Speedwatch: PC Whitehouse would be asked about progress with new sites.

Any Other Business: Hickory’s Smokehouse would not be including the Peeping Tom name but retained the old sign within the premises.

Speed of traffic in Bockendon Lane had not been reduced.

All other matters arising were to be covered by agenda points.

4 Chair’s Report

A report had been circulated in advance as follows
This has been another very active year for the Residents’ Association, responding to residents’ concerns and organising a number of events and initiatives to support the community. 
Our Santa Sleigh evening last December was a huge success, raising £1000 for The Myton Hospices. We are very grateful to the Balsall Common Lions for working with us and we are already planning this year’s event which will take place on Friday December 22nd. We learnt a lot from last year and are planning some improvements including providing supper at the Village hall. 
The Residents’ Association acknowledged the very valuable contribution County Councillor John Whitehouse made to Burton Green over many years, by marking his retirement with a drinks reception at which he was presented with a picture of the Greenway. It was painted by local artist Margaret Cole and I know it now has pride of place in John’s lounge.
Lunches for the retired of Burton Green continue to be very popular. The food is always wonderful and amazing value. Everyone always has a good time and really appreciates the opportunity to get together.
The Jubilee Group worked very hard preparing for the Summer Event – a Rhythm and Blues evening at Long Meadow Farm on June 10th. Unfortunately the skies opened and it was rained off. However, we are very grateful to Henry’s R and B Band for putting on a free performance in the Village Hall on September 23rd. The Band soon got the Burton Green Boppers going and everyone really enjoyed the music. An event for children is being planned for next summer and the centenary of the 1918 Armistice is being marked by a theatre trip to see The War Horse on October 13th and an afternoon tea on November 10th. We also hope to have a Burton Green Beacon on this special Remembrance Weekend.
The Speedwatch Team has now been operating for five years and continues to have a real impact on moderating speed and raising awareness. This is an issue which residents consistently highlight as being of importance to them and in a recent Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group survey conducted at the Village Hall during the Produce Show, speeding and traffic was identified as a key negative factor in village life. So we are very grateful to the Team for turning out in all weathers and for their on- going commitment. Please consider joining the team; Pat Hehir would be delighted to hear from you (tel: 02476467022)
Maintaining our environment remains an important objective of the Residents’ Association. The plant tubs continue to make a really positive statement as we enter and leave Burton Green and the Jubilee Verge lifts everyone’s spirits as they drive past. Further bulb planting took place in October and we have had one “clean up” this year, with one still pending. The Cromwell Lane sign at the Hodgetts Lane junction has been renovated.
The on -going task of monitoring potholes and reporting them to  Solihull Metropolitan Borough and WCC has remained a priority and we are grateful for the swift response we receive from Peter Hallam of WCC Highways Department. Faulty street lighting has also been an issue we have had to raise.
A First Response first aid refresher session was organised in x with generous donations from participants being matched by the Residents’ Association to support this worthwhile organisation. We hope to organise these refresher courses annually.
The Bugle has continued to play a crucial role in keeping us all informed of village events. Thanks are due to Mary Webb and all the distribution team many of whom also collect our £3 subscriptions.
The challenges facing Burton Green seem to grow more daunting and complex; HS2, housing, the location of the new third phase road linking the A46 with the A452 all loom large. However our community spirit is undented, maintained by the contribution of so many residents; that is what makes Burton Green so special .Thanks to you all!

Rona highlighted the key events during 2017

  • Credit must be given to the numerous people who contribute to the village in various ways. Members of the Parish Council deal with formalities and the Residents’ Association takes responsibility for such activities as the Santa sleigh, lunches for the retired, environmental planting, the Jubilee group, the Bugle and the Speedwatch team. There have been two recent volunteers to the latter but more are needed so that three people can be present at each session, as required. 
  • The Jubilee verge represents community involvement and contributions.
  • Many people had chosen to be in our community and there is much appreciation of the strength of our community.

5 Treasurer’s Report

Dianne was unavailable but had submitted a report which was available.

In Dianne’s absence Peter Tacon explained there was a balance of £3675.79 which included donations of £500 from Severn Trent and £200 from Western Power after disruption to services.  Thanks were given to Mary Webb for chasing these donations.

There were no questions.

Rona thanked Peter for inspecting the accounts.

6 Election of Independent Examiner 

Peter Tacon again agreed to act as Independent Examiner.
Proposed:  Chris Langton
Seconded: Pat Hehir
Unanimously agreed.

7 Election of Committee members

Janet Hickinbottom, as Joint Secretary, conducted this agenda item.

The constitution required that the officers and three committee members should stand down.  All the officers, Rona Taylor, Mary Webb, Janet Hickinbottom and Judi Hibberd and Dianne Adams were re-elected
Proposed: Deirdre Vernon
Seconded Helen Hehir
Unanimously agreed.

Three committee members also stood down and agreed to be re-elected:
Andy Gibbs, Trish Hancock, Hilary Cox
Proposed: Ray Watkin
Seconded: Betty Woodward
Unanimously agreed.

Diane Swindells was standing down and was not seeking re-election.  Rona thanked Diane for her contribution.

Paddy Deeley was nominated as a new committee member.
Proposed: Alison Fielding
Seconded: Betty Woodward
Unanimously agreed.

8 Discussion of key Burton Green issues

Neighbourhood Plan

Ray Watkin explained the process of setting out principles and objectives to help with planning and development within the village. The Neighbourhood Plan would cover the area within the old parish boundaries – not including Warwick University.

A steering group had been established but more volunteers were welcome. The local community was to be involved at all times as the Neighbourhood Plan needed to represent the wishes of residents. It was important to capture all opinions to be truly representative.

Public participation was encouraged at steering group meetings, for example on November 13th.  A survey was started at the Produce Show and there had been a drop in event on September 29th which attracted 42 people. As 12 of those were not Burton Green residents, the views of only 30 residents had been captured. The survey had been extended to groups within the village such as the choir, attendees at the Retired of Burton Green lunch, and the wine club. In this way the number of responses had increased to 113.

Ray explained some of the statistics that had been gathered. For example, 93% of respondents valued the sense of community and the people involved.
 41% cited the importance of the Village Hall and its activities. 25% mentioned the village school and another 25% the Greenway. The environment, open spaces and footpaths were important to 86%.

Considering negative aspects, 63% were concerned about traffic and speeding vehicles; 52% with HS2; 21% mentioned poor public transport, especially in Red Lane; 15% indicated a lack of amenities; and 14% commented on detrimental parking habits in the village.

A strapline had been sought for the Neighbourhood Plan.  The initial suggestion had been “Growing Burton Green” but following consultation this had been changed to “Keeping Burton Green.”

Community responses had resulted in the following themes in order of priority:

1. Greenway/footpaths
2. Green space/ landscape
3. Community/leisure facilities 4. School/Education
5. Character of the Parish
6. Housing
7. Roads
8. Public transport

Ray said there would be some funds available and if a surplus existed, residents’ views on how best to spend it would be sought. Ideas already expressed had been the enhancement of the greenway after the construction of HS2; retention/creation of mature hedges; village sports facilities; a new play area on the cut and cover tunnel; traffic calming measures; improvement of transport links; and development of cycle lanes.

Ray explained that another widespread survey needed to be constructed and delivered in the New Year and there would be a prize draw for entrants to encourage participation. Ultimately, responses would be fed into the Neighbourhood Plan.

Q. What happens once the Plan is formulated?
Ray said recommendations would become reality because Warwick District Council uses the objectives in their own planning and development. The construction of new housing could not be halted because that was in the Local Plan but could be influenced by the evidence provided in the Neighbourhood Plan. There would be a Local Referendum, a final consultation process, a further draft and then Burton Green would decide whether or not to adopt the Neighbourhood Plan.

Q. What is the population of the parish?
 375 households but no-one knew the exact number of residents.

Rona thanked Ray and the steering group for all their hard work.

Village Hall Cheryl Wall

Cheryl reminded attendees that HS2 had agreed to build a replacement Village Hall at the top of Red Lane. After 18 months of negotiation, HS2 had accepted the architects’ plans which would now be submitted for planning permission, hopefully in November. The final details about landscaping were being sorted with advice from WCC and guidance from Arden Landscapes. Native species of trees would be used including oak, field maple, wild cherry, crab apple, walnut, mulberry, rowan, pear, lime and mature hedging. Heritage fruit varieties would be chosen.  There would be a car park larger than the existing one (about 40 spaces) and this needed to be secure.  Advice was being taken from Warwickshire Police about a secure barrier.

HS2 were planning to demolish the current hall in the summer of 2019 so the building of the replacement needed to begin in Spring 2018.

Consideration was being given to noise with regard to the neighbours and to hall users such as yoga classes so triple or acoustic glass was preferred.

Again, taking neighbours into consideration, it was not intended to hold weddings or large events.

Drainage was a matter that had taken time to agree and it was hoped the hall would be connected to the main sewer. This was to be included in the recommendations with the plan.

Once planning permission had been agreed, it would be a busy time putting work out to tender.  Several committees had been established to include, for example, electrical and technical matters; the kitchen; and business planning. Inevitably, with a bigger hall maintenance cost would increase and so it would be important to attract more income.

Residents’ views would be sought along the way and fundraising would be necessary.

Q. Who would own the ground?
The trustees of the Hall. The Village Hall would occupy 2.2 acres of the field which comprises about two thirds of the field.

Q. Will the car park be available for users of the Greeenway?
There will be a security barrier so that only hall users should use the car park.  It might be that the site of the old hall would be made available by HS2 for Greenway users
Q. What about outdoor lighting?
This would be low level and would not stay on overnight.

Q. What about the rest of the field?
This was to remain in HS2 ownership until the railway was operational. No future ownership had yet been agreed.

Thanks were extended to Cheryl and the Village Hall trustees.

Plans for phase three road and its impact on Burton Green Cllr Alan Marshall

Cllr Marshall gave a comprehensive review of his understanding of the situation with regard to developments of the A46 link road. He had already included an article in the recent edition of the Bugle and said little had changed since then. The following takes extracts from the report he presented. He wished to emphasise that much of the speculation about future possible routes was his own personal view.

The new A46 Link Road is a significant objective in West Midlands regional transport strategy. The scheme is included in the new West Midlands Combined Authority’s 2026 Delivery Plan for Transport, which the Authority has now approved, and its importance was also referred to in the report of the government’s Planning Inspector when he recently approved Warwick District’s Local Plan.
It is perhaps worth noting that the WMCA’s Delivery Plan for Transport is the responsibility of Mike Waters, who was previously head of transportation at Coventry City Council and it is Coventry CC which is leading development of the Link Road project, in conjunction with Warwickshire CC and Solihull MBC.
It is also worth noting that Mike Waters has been replaced at Coventry CC by James Llewellyn as Interim Head of Transportation and Innovation. Mr Llewellyn has been seconded from to this role from his position as Technical Director of WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff's Birmingham office …. Also Mr Llewellyn not only has responsibility for the A46 Link Road but also for the what is known as the Coventry South Package (i.e., the massive expansion, mainly of JLR, across the A45 around Coventry Airport) and also for the associated Very Light Rail project, which proposes battery-powered trams, developed by the Warwick Manufacturing Group at the University, running from Coventry railway station down the Kenilworth Road to Warwick University; from the University to Coventry South, via a proposed new Parkway station on the Kenilworth-Coventry railway line and the major housing development proposed at Kings Hill; AND along, or alongside, the A46 Link Road from Warwick University to the HS2 Interchange and UK Central, the NEC and Birmingham Airport. Mr Llewellyn had explained that if the new road comprised only stages 1 and 2 (the section from A46 at Stoneleigh to Westwood Heath), planning would be pretty straightforward. Cllr Marshall felt it was then likely to go north up Stoneleigh Road as far as Kings Hill Lane, where a junction would provide a link into the proposed Kings Hill development. The new road would then continue north west across open country to serve the site of the proposed Coventry South Parkway station (on the Coventry side of HS2, on the Leamington-Coventry rail line) before crossing the A429 Kenilworth-Coventry road and then skirt Cryfield Grange, near to which there could be a junction with a spur road connecting to Leighfield Road and Gibbet Hill Road to give access to the University and Arts Centre. 
Alternatively (or as well as) there could be a spur further along the new road nearer Westwood Heath to join with Scarman Road/Gibbet Hill Road and give access to the University where the huge new building for the Warwick Manufacturing Group is being built at present.
The new road would then continue towards Westwood Heath Road, probably between the two sites either side of Bockendon Road that are currently proposed for significant future housing.
However, the road planning process has been complicated by the prospect of continuing the Link Road north-westwards towards the HS2 Interchange (at Bickenhill) and the adjoining UK Central scheme proposed by Solihull MBC.
Whilst it is clear that a wide number of route options have been or are being looked at -- taking account of land and properties that would have to be acquired, disruption that would be caused, and the costs -- and that a route via Eastern Green was the least probable (because of overall distance to reach UK Central) -- it has seemed to Cllr Marshall that a likely preference would be to continue the phase 3 route along Westwood Heath Road (where there is space for road widening) and across a new junction with Cromwell Lane. This might then continue towards and across Nailcote Lane and Hodgetts Lane, crossing the West Coast Main Line railway above Beechwood Tunnel, then going across Truggist Lane, Baulk Lane and Lavender Hall Lane. A possible end point, where the new road could join the A452, would be the roundabout at the junction with Bradnocks Marsh Lane -- although an alternative, to avoid crossing HS2, would be to continue the new road on the east side of HS2 to join the A452 at the junction with Cornets End Lane and Hampton Lane. Nor is it clear whether the new road should be a single or dual carriageway -- and with few or many intersections?
Of course, there are alternatives for the way the new road could pass by, or through, Burton Green and one that has clearly caught a lot of attention recently is it being constructed adjacent to the eastern boundary of HS2.  This could be achieved by taking phase 3 of the new road from the vicinity of Cryfield Grange along Cryfield Grange Road over Crackley Lane to pick up the HS2 alignment, passing under Cromwell Lane and along Hodgetts Lane to pick up the route I described earlier going between Berkswell and Ballsall Common towards the A452.   James Llewellyn had responded: “I can well appreciate that residents are very concerned about the continuing uncertainties . . .  With those concerns in mind, rest assured that we are progressing the Route Options Technical Study as quickly as possible and we hope to be in a position to finalize the route options report by the end of November.”
We are planning a pubic consultation on the route option(s) in the spring of 2018.
In the more immediate future, we are proposing to undertake consultation on strategic options for improving transport infrastructure to the south of Coventry. However, this ‘issues and options’ consultation will not identify any specific option for the A46 Link Road.
I must reiterate that HS2 Ltd were completely wrong to provide any views on the preferred route option and I have expressed my displeasure to them.  Furthermore, I am concerned about the apparent statements made by Arup at a recent LEP meeting.  Again, if such a statement was made it was incorrect.
No decision on the route has been made and it is no business of HS2 Ltd, Arup or anyone else to claim otherwise.
All such speculation is very unhelpful and only adds to the uncertainty you have referred to."
Finally, Cllr Marshall urged residents to put pressure on our county council representative to ensure residents and the parish council are consulted as quickly as possible. Rona thanked Cllr Marshall for such a thorough explanation and for all the research he had undertaken.

Housing. Cllr Archie Taylor

Cllr Taylor began by highlighting the success of Broadwells Wood where only one plot remained to be filled.

There were plans now for 90 houses to be built on the Burrow Hill Nursery site. Discounted prices would be offered to current Burton Green residents. The development would include a small playing field and a parking area for 16 vehicles. He hoped the housing would encourage more families with children to come to Burton Green.

He was more concerned with the impact on traffic of the proposed construction of 240 houses in Cromwell Lane and the problems of the Westwood Heath/Cromwell Lane junction.

He went on to explain the formation of the Keep Our Greenbelt Green (KOGG) group. With advice from a barrister the group had decided not to challenge WDC Local Plan but to proceed with a Judicial Review, initially writing to different local authorities asking them to review their housing numbers in relation to population forecasts. He said it had been proven that the statistics used had been flawed and in reality there was no demand for overspill from Coventry. The Inspector’s report was awaited.

The Cala homes development in Red Lane was fairly imminent. Crest Nicholson’s proposals for 425 houses in Westwood Heath Road had been delayed subject to sorting out the Cromwell Lane/Westwood Heath Road junction. Finally there were to be the 240 houses in Cromwell Lane near Tile Hill station

Cllr Taylor was thanked and he would be keeping a close watching brief on developments.

Police Matters. 

Unfortunately, there was no police representation. Rona reported that PC Whitehouse had attended a recent Retired of Burton Green lunch and reported that because of residents’ votes, Burton Green would receive increased patrols and the police would be monitoring the problem of parking on pavements. Any resident who encountered such a problem could send a photo of the offending vehicle to the police.

9 Any Other Business

  • Rona thanked Ross Mclean for the work he is carrying out on removing the ivy from the Air Raid Warden’s shelter in Red Lane.
  • A question was asked about the availability of high speed broadband in Red Lane. Cllr Gibbs said the CSW website indicated within 12 months of January 2-17 and said timescales elsewhere had been fairly accurate so he anticipated it would be available imminently.
  • Deirdre announced that the previously very successful Made in Burton Green event was to take place again on the summer of 2018 (mid June to the end of July) to include scarecrows along the Greenway. Volunteers to help with the planning were very welcome.
  • Hickory’s Smokehouse were holding a bonfire and fireworks event on Sunday November 5th.  Parking plans were in place.
  • Cllr Illingworth (who was thanked for attending having joined the meeting after another appointment) invited residents to the Royal British Legion Remembrance Day service at the war memorial in Kenilworth on Sunday November 12th. A representative of Burton Green Parish Council would lay a wreath.
  • Rona thanked residents for attending and for showing their support.

10. Date of Next Annual General Meeting

The next Annual General Meeting would be held on October 1st 2018 at the Village Hall.

Wednesday, 8 November 2017

BT Infinity (Fibre Optic Broadband)

BT Infinity (via fibre optic broadband) would now appear to be available to properties in Cromwell Lane (cabinet 37).

If you wish to upgrade to this service you need to visit BT.com, or the website of your own broadband service provider, where you can check the availability of the service to your property, and will be able to request an upgrade, if you want to. The upgrade will involve BT, or your service provider, sending you a new router through the post. An engineer visit is not required. The new service will be activated a few days after you have plugged in your new router, with only a minimal interruption on the switchover day.

Some residents in Cromwell Lane who have already upgraded are reporting download speeds of 50Mbps.

Thursday, 19 October 2017

Parliamentary Constituency Boundary Changes

The Parliamentary Constituency Boundaries are being reviewed. It is proposed to create a new constituency of Coventry South and Kenilworth. This would include Canley, Earlsdon, Tile Hill, Westwood Heath, Green Lane, Stivichall, Whitley, Burton Green and Kenilworth.

Official details are here:

Article in the Kenilworth Weekly News:

Wednesday, 18 October 2017

Virgin Hyperloop One (Updated)

Hyperloop is a revolutionary transport system that is 5 times faster than conventional high-speed rail, safer, can be built at far less cost, and is more environmentally friendly. Virgin Hyperloop One could take passengers from London to Edinburgh in 50 minutes.

Here are two new videos about the project.

In the video below Richard Branson talks about connecting London to the North and also refers to 'the other railway that the government are building'. Presumably Branson's project would be completely financed by the private sector...


Tuesday, 19 September 2017

Coventry Population Growth - Fueled by Immigration

The Birmingham Mail recently reported some newly released figures from the Office for National Statistics showing causes of population growth in English cities (including Birmingham and Coventry).

Apparently, 58 per cent of population growth in Birmingham between 2007 and 2016 was fuelled by immigration.

In the same ten year period, Coventry had an extra 52,782 people, and a staggering 98 per cent of that figure appears to have come from immigration.

Local Authority Population change 2007-16, % due to immigration 

The original article is here:


A political dimension to the recent controversy concerning building on the green belt also became apparent in this report from the Coventry Telegraph.

Full report here:

Monday, 18 September 2017

Minutes of Residents' Association Committee 17th September 2017


Hilary Cox; Judi Hibberd; Janet Hickinbottom; Bron Putnam; Rona Taylor; Mary Webb,

In attendance: Paddy Deeley and Cllr Caryll Green

1. Apologies

Apologies had been received from Dianne Adams, Andy Gibbs, Trish Hancock and Faith Ward.

Summary of actions following the meetingResponsible
Dementia article for BugleCllr Green
HS2 compensation article for BugleCllr Gibbs
Welcome Pack to be sent to committee members who requested itJudi
Questions on the housing paper to be sent to Judi for collationAll and Judi
Arrange bulb planting session on October 15thMary
Check date of carol service and availability of hall on Dec 22nd for SantaJudi
Arrangements for Christmas card competitionFaith
Letter to councillors re AGMJudi
PowerPoint presentationPaddy and Rona
Card to DianneRona
Five rubbish grabbers to be purchasedMary

Minutes of the last meeting and Matters Arising

The minutes of the previous meeting of July 11th 2017 were approved.

Matters Arising from the previous minutes
  • Cllr Green had forgotten about the dementia article and would write this for a future edition of the Bugle
  • Cllr Gibbs would be reminded of the article about HS2 compensation
  • Some committee members asked for a copy of the updated Welcome Pack to distribute to new residents
  • All other matters arising had been covered or were to be agenda items.

2. Treasurer's Report

A report had been circulated.

3. Consideration of funding for judicial review re housing

Prior to the meeting a letter from Archie Taylor had been circulated. It requested a donation of £1000 to the campaign fund against the housing developments in the Green Belt. It was claimed that the developments were planned against a false premise that Coventry’s population and employment projections were hugely inflated and most of Coventry’s needs could be met by building on brownfield sites.

Rona said a meeting of the campaign group was being held the same evening and that more clarity would be available after that.

It was felt that further detail was required and this should be available following the group's meeting. The Warwick District Council meeting was due to take place on September 20th when councillors would vote or delay a decision.

It was agreed that an extraordinary meeting of the Residents' Association would be scheduled for September 26th when Ian Cox would attend to present the legal situation and the detail around a judicial review. Committee members were urged to forward any questions in advance to Judi who would collate them and send to Ian Cox.
 Action: Judi and all

4.  Residents' views/concerns

Hilary reported that one of the flower tubs in Red Lane had been vandalised.

A number of the street lights in Cromwell Lane near the Hickory's Smokehouse had not been working but this had been reported and the matter was being actioned.

The footpath in Red Lane was still causing concern but it was believed work on this was being scheduled.

5. Update on and discussion of Residents' Association initiatives and issues
  • Bulb planting. An article had been added to the recent edition of the Bugle. It was agreed to hold a bulb planting session on Sunday October 15th with residents meeting at 10:30 on the bridge on Cromwell Lane when bulbs would be distributed.  Mary would work out the details and identify locations. Action: Mary
  • R& B band concert was scheduled for September 23rd. A forthcoming Jubilee committee meeting would finalise the details. Free tickets had gone out to original purchasers. A complimentary glass of wine would also be provided or them. Other attendees would be welcome to pay on the night.
  • Christmas. December 22nd Santa's sleigh would be doing its rounds in Burton Green again thanks to Balsall Common Lions. It was hoped to arrange volunteers from the village to support this event again so that the route could, for the second year, cover the whole village. It was agreed a simple supper would be organised afterwards for volunteers. Judi would double check the date of the Carol service with Barbara and the availability of the hall with Vic.  Action: Judi
  • Faith would be asked to liaise with the school regarding the possibility of a Christmas card competition. Entries should be submitted by November 24th as the winning design would need to be at the printers by November 29th. The Hickory Smokehouse would be asked if they would like to sponsor this. Action: Rona and Faith
  • November 10th 2018. As part of the commemoration of the ending of World War 1, a group of residents would be going to a performance of "War Horse" in Birmingham. It had been agreed to hold an afternoon tea in the village Hall with community singing led by Burton Green Village Choir. It was still uncertain whether there would be a beacon as this had been left with the Parish Council.
  • Contact had been made with Peter Hallam when the pavements in Cromwell Lane had been resurfaced. Apparently, there were plans to do the same in Red Lane in 2018.
  • Fast broadband was to come to Cromwell Lane soon.

6. AGM

A sightly different format had been tried last year and was deemed a success. The Meeting would start at 7 with refreshments and would follow last year's format. Judi would send a similar letter to councillors inviting them to join us for a glass of wine.  Action: Judi

Paddy offered to help with the PowerPoint presentation. Officer roles were to be listed on the presentation. Action: Paddy and Rona

The constitution required that the officers and three committee members should stand down.  Current officers (Rona Taylor, Mary Webb, Dianne Adams, Janet Hickinbottom and Judi Hibberd) were willing to stand again unless anyone else wanted to take on any of the roles.

Three committee members had to stand down.

Items to be covered at the AGM were agreed as:

  • Village Hall
  • Housing
  • Policing
  • Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group

The banner would be put up on Friday October 13th.

7. Village Hall

No one was available to report.

The Village Hall committee had received good news about HS2's support for the plan to be submitted for planning permission.

8. HS2 drop in session

This was to take place at the Village Hall on September 19th between 4 and 7pm.

9. Parish Councillor's Report

Cllr Green said the PC had objected to the major planning applications for 425 houses to be built at Westwood Heath. They had not opposed the Cala Homes proposal but sent in comments for example about retaining boundary hedges to the site; the need for recharging points outside each house; subdued street lighting; the extension of the school parking area; a vehicular access to the playing field for mowing machinery; and the importance of a high wire fence around the field for children's safety. Fewer trees were recommended on the playing field area and a dog waste bin was requested.  The PC was to have an informal meeting with Cala Homes. 

The road would not run all through the site, hence avoiding creation of a "rat run" but there would be a footpath. The PC was quite supportive of the overall plan.

The building of two houses had been proposed on the plot next to the Thorntons' house. This was being opposed by neighbours.

A new sign had been erected at the Red Lane playground to indicate children playing.

The PC was looking into upgrading the bus shelter.

Talks were beginning about the Coventry Southern bypass. 

Paddy asked if the Cala Homes proposal was still open for discussion. A notice had been issued on September 1st saying it was open for a further 21 days.

Thanks were given to Cllr Green.

10.  Any Other Business

A reminder had been sent of the Made in Burton Green event in June 2018.

Rona would send a card to Dianne wishing her well after her recent operation. Action: Rona

Mary asked if it was possible to buy five more "grabbers"for community rubbish collection and this was agreed. Action: Mary

11. Date, time and venue of Next Meeting

The AGM would take place on October 30th 2017

An extraordinary meeting was to take place on September 26th 2017

The next committee meeting was scheduled for Nov 14th 2017.

Monday, 4 September 2017

Quiz Night 21st October


With Fish and Chip Supper
Saturday 21st October @ 7.30pm

Tickets £12.50 available from:
Jill  -  davidline@onetel.com   024 7646 2070
Replies by 15th October please

Sunday, 3 September 2017

Green Leek Run 2017

We are now in the final countdown for the GreenLeek10K, a major fundraising event in the local schools' calendar.

With 3 weeks to go we have just under 300 runners in the 2017 Green Leek 10k run.  We have a cap of 500 this year and would like to get closer to our target.

This unique multi terrain run starts at Burton Green School and follows a beautiful countryside route to finish at the Warwickshire, opposite All Saints School in Leek Wootton. Full details of how to register can be found on the website www.greenleekrun.co.uk .

Saturday, 2 September 2017

New Dance Academy at the Village Hall

Open Day Event at Burton Green Village Hall

Brand New Dance Academy, 9th September 2017, 9.00-14.00.
Free Taster Classes: Ballet, Tap, Jazz & Acrobatic classes for children aged 3+ run by a qualified Dance Teacher.

Friday, 1 September 2017

Bugle September 2017

The September 2017 edition of the Bugle has been published.

Just below are thumbnails of the page images. To enlarge any page image, click on the thumbnail below. Once you have the individual page, you may also need to click on the magnifying glass in your browser, where you can view the page at its original size...

The text of the Chair's Report has also been added to the Residents' Association page,

The archive of back issues of the Bugle is here: Bugle Archive.

Friday, 25 August 2017

Produce Show 10th September 2017

The annual Produce Show takes place on Sunday 10th September at the village hall.

If you have any Plants or Produce that we can sell at the show please deliver to the hall either after 4pm on Saturday 9th September or during the morning of the show.

Also if you have any books or magazines that we can sell, ideally please deliver to the hall on the Saturday after 4pm, give to any committee member in advance.

Friday, 21 July 2017

Planning Application South of Westwood Heath Road

A hybrid planning application has been made to Warwick District Council for the construction of 425 houses South of Westwood Heath Road.

You can see all of the associated documentation (including details of all objections that have so far been received), and submit your own comments, on the Warwick District Council website. For your convenience, the particular page is here:


Objections are filed under the tab labelled 'Documents'.

Please note the cut off date of 11th August should you wish to respond.

Tuesday, 18 July 2017

Minutes of Residents’ Association Committee Meeting July 11th 2017


Andy Gibbs; Judi Hibberd; Janet Hickinbottom; Mary Webb; Hilary Cox

In attendance: Betty Woodward.

1. Apologies

Apologies had been received from Dianne Adams, Trish Hancock, Bron Putnam, Diane Swindells, Rona Taylor and Faith Ward.

Summary of actions following the meetingResponsible
Dementia article for BugleCllr Green
HS2 compensation article for BugleCllr Gibbs
Bulb planting article for BugleMary
Resident’s feedback to Cala Homes consultation to be passed on to PCRona
Further thoughts on Nov 10th 2018 eventAll
Match funding of £85 to be paid to Fast AidDianne
Slight updating of Welcome PackJudi
Standing agenda item name change from HS2 Opposition Group to HS2Judi
Check defibrillator boxMary

Minutes of the last meeting and Matters Arising

The minutes of the previous meeting of May 9th 2017 were approved.

Matters Arising from the previous minutes
  • Request 50% of Bugle printing costs from PC: cheque received.
  • Find out availability of Salvation Army Band for November 10th 2018: not available.
  • Dementia leaflets to be obtained and distributed: instead Caryll Green to write for the September Bugle. Action: Cllr Green
  • Arrange Bugle distribution: completed.
  • Letter of thanks to Deirdre for sign refurbishment: completed.
  • Include in Bugle information for residents to sign up to Village Email Loop: completed.
  • Greenway Trust to be consulted regarding problems of access and need for notices about taking home litter: completed.
  • Book Village Hall for afternoon and early evening Saturday November 10th 2018: completed.
  • Availability of singer for commemoration event: Jane Darling WW2 singer would charge £150 for two slots. It was decided this was not required.
  • Bugle item about HS2 compensation packages: Andy to do for September edition. Action: Cllr Gibbs
  • Future agenda item re bulb planting: details to be included in September Bugle. Action: Mary
  • Minutes on Burton Green website to be published as draft: completed

All other matters arising were to be agenda items.

2. Treasurer's Report

A report had been circulated.

Mary reported that, with a few exceptions still to be chased, annual subscriptions had been collected with good results.

The Public Liability insurance certificate was now on display in the hall entrance.

3. Residents' views/concerns

Communication from resident regarding footpath:

A resident living on Red Lane had communicated with Rona following the Cala Homes consultation. In particular she was concerned about the pedestrian route along Red Lane, especially when walking young children. She suggested Cala Homes might be asked to create a new footpath avoiding the bends in Red Lane and crossing to Hob Lane.

She also queried whether the 30mph speed limit could be extended but the committee knew how difficult it had been to implement the current restrictions and that John Whitehouse, former County Councillor, had worked tirelessly to obtain them.

The resident also queried the car parking facilities proposed by Cala Homes, especially the insufficient number of spaces and the potential bottleneck on entry and exit.

The committee agreed the footpath and parking were matters for the Parish Council to pursue with Cala Homes and via the Neighbourhood Plan. Action: Rona

At the same time Peter Hallam would be contacted again about the current Red Lane footpath to see if it could be improved. Action: Mary

There was also discussion regarding the potential Cala Homes support for the new Village Hall and it was agreed the Village Hall committee and Parish Council were dealing with this situation.

4. Update on and discussion of Residents' Association initiatives and issues

  • a. Feedback from Jubilee Group – June 10th finances
The very wet windy evening had prohibited Henry’s band from playing safely at the planned event. No wet weather insurance had been taken out on this occasion. People had worked very hard and there was much disappointment. Fortunately, agreement had recently been reached with the band to provide a replacement concert on September 23rd in the Village Hall. Those who had paid for tickets for the cancelled event would be admitted free of charge and offered a glass of wine on arrival as a thank you for their continued patience and support. Tickets would be on sale to anyone else.
  • b. Warden Shelter, Red Lane. Ross McClean from Sustrans had looked at the shelter and agreed to cut back the ivy in September. He reported that the brick work appeared to be in good condition. A decision will be taken on whether repairs are necessary once the vegetation has been removed. The Wardens’ Cricket Club in Kenilworth had been approached but had insufficient funds to help.
  • c. Nov 10th 2018 – afternoon tea. The Village Hall was booked. The choir had agreed to lead community singing. Some members of the committee felt a more varied afternoon should be offered to attract families. Betty suggested having available games of the era. The Parish Council were looking into the possibility of a beacon which Peter Stanworth could be willing to place at Long Meadow Farm. Unfortunately there would not be access for residents. BGRA were continuing to look at other possible sites for this beacon. Perhaps the owners of Burrow Hill Nursery would allow it at a high point on their land but this might depend on whether house building had begun on the site? Another suggestion was to ask the residents of the water tower if they would consider putting it on their roof. The Parish Council would be approached about the purchase of the beacon. Committee members would continue to think about other activities. Action: all
  • d. Fast Aid had received an £85 donation on the night of their presentation and workshop. It was agreed BGRA would match fund this amount. Dianne would be asked to write a cheque for £170 to Fast Aid. Action: Dianne
  • e. The Welcome Pack needed slight updating. The Bugle Team would be asked to carry a couple each as they were aware of new residents moving in to the village. Action: Judi

5. Village Hall

The Village Hall Trustees had been told by HS2 that the current design for the new village hall was not acceptable. Discussions were on- going.

6. HS2 Opposition Group

It was agreed to change the title of this agenda item. The new title would be simply HS2. Action: Judi

Community Fund

Andy reminded us that all residents need to be encouraged to suggest what facilities and enhancement to Burton Green they wished to see post HS2. These ideas would then be costed and could be presented to The Community Fund.

Instant ideas included footpath improvement, mains drainage in Red Lane and Hob Lane, use of sandstone blocks from the bridges removed by HS2 for a possible area outside the new Village Hall and repair of the Air Warden's Shelter. It might also be necessary to ask for monies to assist in the rebuilding of the new Village Hall. Andy advised that each request should be made as the need arose rather than presenting a long list.

7. Parish Councillor's Report

No report had been provided.

Andy said the Parish Council had discussed the ongoing matter of how Coventry City Council had overestimated how many houses were needed and this impacted on the proposed house building projects on Green Belt within our area. Leaflets had been distributed calling on residents to support a protest on Sunday July 16th.

A Neighborhood Design Group has been formed under Cllr.Ray Watkins, with each Lane having representatives, and when ready would inform residents.

8. Any Other Business

Presentation of the Local Plan.

Rona had been to a presentation on the plans for a proposed new junction off the A46 at Stoneleigh. Proposals were also under discussion for a Phase 2 and eventually a Phase 3 new road system. Consultation on Phase 2 was due in May 2018. Of greatest concern to residents would be the route of Phase 3 which could well threaten Burton Green. Adrian Hart, WCC Team Leader of Transport Planning agreed he would make a presentation to the PC once plans were more advanced. He had been honest in his responses to Rona, which she appreciated, but her fears were not allayed.

Retired of Burton Green lunch

The next lunch for the Retired of Burton Green was to be held on October 6th.

Bulb planting

In the September edition of the Bugle residents will be offered 7 bulbs for planting to enhance an area of the village. This item would be discussed in more detail at the next meeting. Neighbourhood Plan A Neighbourhood Plan meeting had been held on July 3rd. Ray Watkins would provide an article for the September Bugle. Funding was available from Warwickshire County Council.


The box containing the defibrillator was faulty. Mary would investigate this with Pete Hancock. Action: Mary

9. Date, time and venue of Next Meeting

The next meeting would take place on September 12th 2017.

Tuesday, 11 July 2017

Protest Over False Premises in WDC Local Plan

There is a report in the Kenilworth Weekly News detailing false premises in the WDC local plan, and describing a protest planned for 16th July at Finham.

"A ‘human chain’ will be formed with Burton Green residents and many others in protest over new housing from Warwick District’s Local Plan next weekend. If adopted, the plan will see 1,800 homes built at King’s Hill, 425 at Westwood Heath, and 90 in Burton Green itself. Also, 240 houses will be built west of Cromwell Lane as part of Coventry’s Local Plan as well... 
In protest, residents and campaigners will be forming a ‘human chain’ in Green Lane next to Finham Primary School on Sunday July 16 at 1pm. Anyone against the plans is invited to join in...."
Read the full report, detailing objections to the plan, here:

Event Details

  • At 12.50  pm we will be starting our line at the Finham Primary school gate and then spreading down Green Lane until we reach KINGS HILL LANE. N.B we must remain on the path at all times both for safety and to keep our protest within the law.
  • Anyone travelling by cars please make sure that you park in a side street or on the side of the road OPPOSITE to where we will be standing for safety reasons.
  • Please do NOT park on the forecourt in front of the shops as we need that area to assemble at the end.
  • Find the next space and join the line.
  • Those residents that have the large orange SAVE THE GREENBELT banners please bring them to make more impact in photographs.
  • We have some of the yellow posters NO BUILDING ON KINGS HILL which we will hand out to different people along the route.
  • When we complete the line between the school and Kings Hill Lane we would ask people to start the line from the Primary School towards Finham Park School.  If everyone in Finham turns out to support us we should be able to fill the whole of Green Lane.
  • We have invited Jim Cunningham and the Coventry Councillors to join us.
  • A tractor will be driving along Green Lane during our HOUR of Protest so give a cheer as it passes and remind any media there NO BUILDING ON KINGS HILL.
  • We will be joined by other residents from across the city who are also campaigning against the building on Greenbelt land. 
  • At 1.45 please make your way to the forecourt of the shops in Green Lane where the protest will end with short speeches from

o   Jim Cunningham
o   Gary Crookes
o   Paul Davies
The poster for the event can be found here:

July 11th - World Population Day

July 11th (today) is World Population Day. Governments around the world are being urged to consider the problems caused by unrestrained population growth and to take action.

Though the answer to population growth has nothing to do with building more houses.

See, for example:

Sunday, 2 July 2017

Burton Green (Warwickshire) Open Gardens 2017

Ten gardens in Burton Green were opened to the public on Sunday July 2nd. Below are the descriptions and a couple of representative photos of each garden...

Garden #1 

A long rectangular garden split into different sections - a terrace area with small pond, more formal lawn and long border, middle section with wildlife pond and vegetable beds, fruit cage, greenhouse and cutting border.

Garden #2 

A long mature garden at the rear of a 1913s semi-detached house. A practical garden that accommodates dogs, grandchildren, flower borders, fruit and vegetable areas. Chrysanthemums are grown as a hobby.

Garden #3 

A medium to large cottage style garden with no formal planting. At the end of the garden area a 3 acre plot is home to Tamworth pigs and chickens.

Garden #4

The garden is for outside living which grand children and adults can enjoy. There are two separate spaces, untamed and more formal both attracting wild life and providing distinctive areas of light, shade and privacy.

Garden #5

A modern style house with hedged back garden, complete with flower and shrub borders, raised vegetable beds, container plants and greenhouses. Complemented by garden ornaments and wicker sculptures.

Garden #6

A long frontage, and a long back garden with mature trees and shrubs. A fishpond and large patio at the back with pots.

Garden #7

A garden round a series of old farm buildings with shrub and herbaceous borders. The duck pond has a spinney of native species. The garden to the rear has an orchard, a vegetable plot, herbaceous borders and lawns.

Garden #8

A courtyard garden with cafe for cakes and teas, Also plant and book sales.

Garden #9

Garden #10

A 16th Century House with 2 acre garden. Mixed borders with over 35 varieties of old shrub roses, vegetable garden and woodland walk.