About Burton Green    Bugle (Parish Magazine)     Bus Times    Calendar     Family History
Latest Posts     Local History     Maps      Photos    Planning    Privacy     Residents' Association     Videos

Thursday, 28 July 2022

Minutes of Residents' Association Committee Meeting July 25th 2022

 

`


Minutes of Burton Green Residents’ Association Committee Meeting

July 25th 2022


Present:

Dianne Adams; Paddy Deeley; Andy Gibbs; Helen Hehir; Janet Hickinbottom; Bron Putnam; Rona Taylor; and Mary Webb.


In attendance: 


  1. Apologies and Minutes of the last meeting (May 23rd 2022):


Apologies had been received from Hilary Cox and Faith Ward. Cheryl Wall was also unable to attend to represent the Village Hall.



Summary of actions following the meeting

Responsible

Check availability of hall for defibrillator training

Mary

Progress on streetlamp light fitting?

Rona

Contact Severn Trent again about water in Cromwell Lane

Rona

Contact Parish Council to ask relevant authorities to follow up on fires off the Greenway.

Rona

Follow up emptying of dog waste bins

Paddy

Liaise with farmer about permanent banner poles

Bron

Provide AGM details for the Bugle

Judi and Mary

Remove litter pick from standing agenda items

Judi

Decision on erection of dog mess posters

Hilary

Allotment presentation at the AGM

Alan Deeley

Add AGM to next agenda

Judi

Reminder about changes to bins and the collection dates

Paddy

    

Minutes of the last meeting and Matters Arising

See Minutes of May 2022 meeting


Matters Arising from the previous minutes:


  • Contact WCC about damage to hedge at Burton Green Academy – the school was pursuing this with the grounds maintenance contractors.

  • Liaison with Cheryl regarding Village Hall landscaping plan – the plan was still awaited.

  • Information about bonfires to be included in the Bugle – completed

  • Purchase of replacement flower tubs. This had been postponed.

  • Contact Peter with response about viewing platform – response sent

  • Reference in Bugle to successful Games evening – completed

  • Finalise date for defibrillator training with Alice – this would take place during October half term week depending on availability of the hall.

Action: Mary

  • Contact WDC regarding streetlamp not working in Cromwell Lane – this had first been reported in December 2020. A light fitting had been removed and needs to be replaced.  Rona to pursue again.

Action: Rona

  • Contact Severn Trent about flowing water in Cromwell Lane – hole dug and refilled but water still present.  Rona to contact again.

Action: Rona

  • Letter of thanks to Peter Stanworth for storing the bench and wooden sculptures.

The minutes of the May 2022 meeting were approved.


  1. Village Hall: 


The construction was progressing.  Preparations had begun to prepare for the electrical supply to the Hall. (No advance warning had been given about this).


  1. Treasurer’s Report:

See: Treasurer’s Report


A report had been circulated as follows:


Current Account net balance: £ 3,640.50 

Deposit Account net balance: £1006.26 


Total Funds (A): £4646.76 


Ring Fenced Funds (Balance remaining of monies donated/allocated for specific purposes but not yet spent): - 


Defibrillator: £ 149.56 


Freely available/unallocated Funds (A – B): £4497.20 


For Information: 


Major Expenditure Since Last Meeting 


Gift for Betty Woodward - £29.48

Plants for Jubilee Verge and Tablecloths and napkins for Jubilee event - £39.96

Annual Insurance Premium - £231.74 

Circus skills Workshop for Jubilee Event - £650

Jubilee cakes - £69.70

Fire extinguisher hire for Jubilee event - £15

Bugle and Jubilee Flyer - £607


Income Since Last Meeting 


Donation from National Lottery Community Fund - £570

Donation from Sarginsons for Jubilee Event - £100

Donation from Deeley’s for Jubilee Event - £250

Donations from Jubilee Event - £20


Outstanding Parish Funds to be used by 31 March 2023 - £ £1886


Thanks were given to Dianne for her efficient handling of the accounts. 


  1. Residents’ views/concerns:


  • A significant grass fire had occurred off the Greenway between the footpath and Hob Lane. It had been attended by 7 fire engines. This had reignited a few days’ later and it was felt the authorities needed to take action. Rona agreed to contact the Parish Council to ask them to liaise with the relevant parties.

Action: Rona

  • Fly tipping on Hob Lane was not cleared very quickly by Solihull MBC although they pledged to remove waste within a week: some had been reported on June 30th and still remained in place.

  • Dog mess bins on Cromwell Lane had not been emptied although contractors were supposed to carry this out fortnightly. Paddy would follow this up.

Action: Paddy

  • A resident had raised the issue of speeding through the village. Two accidents had occurred recently in Red Lane and Hob Lane. Jeremy Wright MP, representatives of the council and of the police had arranged to visit to see what could be done. Some people had responded to a police request to start up SpeedWatch again.


  1. Update on and discussion of Residents’ Association initiatives and issues:


Thanks were extended to the Jubilee Group for arranging the very successful events marking the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. Although the Circus Mash was postponed because of wet weather, it was rescheduled and attracted a good audience.


Next year the group planned to arrange an outdoor theatre group.


Community fund from BBV – entrance gates, flower tubs


HS2 issues


There had been some discontent because the dates of the road closure over the Cromwell Lane Bridge had not been adhered to. The road was to be closed to traffic form July 27th to August 19th. A traffic plan was in place.


Broadwell Woods residents remained in dispute regarding the noise and dust created by HS2. The Broadwell Woods Residents’ Association had been disbanded.


A question was raised about what was “in storage” for Burton Green and where was this? For example, notices about the defibrillator had been removed.


The Jubilee Verge 


A resident who kindly mowed the Jubilee verge had complained about the state of the grass and the number of weeds making mowing very difficult.  However, as the verge was currently being excavated for the Village Hall electrical supply to be installed, it was decided to postpone any decisions and to see whether the contractors could restore the area satisfactorily once the work was completed. 


Permanent banner poles top of Red Lane


It was agreed it would be a good idea to erect permanent fixings for banners advertising various village events.  However, this needed to make sure they did not interfere with the farmer’s maintenance of the hedge and verge. Bron agreed to speak to him about the best way to facilitate this. 

Action: Bron


Bugle


Details of the AGM would be added to the next edition of the Bugle.  Judi would discuss with Rona and provide details to Mary.

Action: Judi and Mary


Litter Pick


Several residents carry out regular litter picks and so it was decided not to organise a litter picking event.  This would be removed as an agenda item from the minutes.

Action: Judi


Training first aid session for defibrillator


  • Already covered under Matters Arising.


Priorities for precept money- standing items

Bugle funding

Bulbs

Jubilee verge maintenance


£1886 remained to be spent before March 2023 but from this amount would come the cost of three print runs of the Bugle. This would leave sufficient funds for any decision on the banner poles.


  1. Greenway Trust Update:


Hilary was not available to report. It was believed she still held the dog mess posters the payment for which had had initially been agreed by LM who later produced their own versions.  It was agreed these needed to be erected and this would be discussed with Hilary on her return.

Action: Hilary


  1. Parish Councillor's Report:


The most recent Parish Council meeting had been held at the allotments on Westwood Heath Road.  Many residents were unaware of this facility and Alan Deeley, as the chair of the allotment association, had agreed to make a brief presentation at the AGM.

Action: Alan Deeley


  1. Any Other Business:


  • Mary asked who would sponsor the 2022 Christmas card

  • The AGM should be added to the next agenda

Action: Judi

  • There was some confusion about dates for the new bin collection.  It was pointed out that WDC had issued a very clear and useful leaflet which was inside the food caddies that had recently been delivered. Paddy would add a reminder on the email loop.

Action: Paddy


Rona thanked everyone sincerely for attending the meeting.


  1. Date of next Meeting:


The next committee meeting was scheduled for Sept 26

 

Other meetings would take place in 2022 as follows:

AGM Oct 10th

Nov 28